As I surveyed my responses to the Self-Assessment I realized that the areas I marked competent rather than strengths are areas where I need to show more initiative and stretch myself as I seek experiences that will put me on the Fast Track to becoming strong in all areas. As curriculum, data, and professional development have been my strengths, I remember learning about budget by analyzing that year’s campus budget and personnel allocations. I had worked with the Campus Improvement Plan for years but was not privy to examining the budget, I had to ask probing questions of my mentor and include the statement, “Can you show me?” Before the year was over I was asked to sit in as we met with district leaders to prepare the next year’s budget and given the task of managing a School Improvement Plan (Title I: SIP) Budget of $900,000 over two years. The same approach will have to be followed to improve my knowledge and skills about facilities and meeting with the Board. I must press my way in and just do it to learn. An opportunity presented itself this week as the fire alarm went off in a construction area inside our high school campus. The two assistant principals that normally deal with facilities were supposedly off campus and I was called. As I examined the alarm symbols I found that the plans had an error and that was the reason the Fire Marshall could not find the alarm location. The change on notation was made and we proceeded to the site to identify the problem.
When duties are assigned each year it is imperative that each person fulfills the duties assigned. However we must step outside of that role and learn as much as possible about what others are doing. We must stretch the limits and learn how to do “someone else’s job” as we prepare for the next level as superintendent. As a teacher I recall going to the data controller, attendance clerk and registrar and learning their assigned duties. These skills have enabled me to be informed about PEIMS issues and step in and assist as needed. With that said I must again press my way and improve my knowledge and skills as I continue to serve all students, parent, teachers, staff and stakeholders of the school district. Areas where this act of pressing will produce the greatest benefit are working with the Board, acquiring resources from the community, and maintenance and facility maintenance and planning. I am confident that through this Self-Assessment that I will take the needed steps to master these areas as I stay current on the current trends in finance and school reform.
No comments:
Post a Comment